[tex-live] OCR-B fonts
zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 18:28:27 CET 2010
I tried to find the license for OCR-B fonts. I have only found the
ocrbinfo file saying:
2. It is given to free non commercial use, but it may be
that there rights to the typeface stuff, as
the original typeface for OCR-B was developed by
Adam Frutiger. These rights may restrict the use,
I do not know. (In Germany there even exists an industrial
standard - DIN ????? - that describes the typefaces.
Based on such material the input has been developed.)
Therefore the only rights that I can grant are the
rights for the digitization in METAFONT input.
The reason why I ask is because a few years ago I converted these
fonts to Type1 by mftrace and some users are interested in my PFB
files. Thus I have the following questions:
1. Is the original license OK so that I can distribute PFB files
created from them (mftrace runs metafont + potrace + fontforge)
2. What kind of free license will suit best to these Type1 fonts?
3. What is the proper place on CTAN where I should put it? The fonts
directory already contains the ocr-b directory with the MF sources.
4. Is someone willing to prepare higher quality OCR-B in Type-1 and
possibly OpenType (with hinting etc)?
More information about the tex-live