[tex-live] New installer GUI
mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:02:43 CET 2018
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 15:24, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> For the 2019 release of TeX Live we intend to provide a new GUI
> front-end for the installer. By now, it could benefit from wider
> Just add a parameter '-gui tcl' to install-tl or to
> install-tl-windows[.bat] and you shall see the new GUI rather than
> one of the old ones.
Amazing, thank you very much :) :) :),
and a bunch of roses to the Netherlands.
On my Mac it works like a charm.
OK, I first had to reinstall Tk via MacPorts to use quartz by default,
but it worked under X11 as well, and I tested it under the default Tcl
later as well.
I didn't know that Tcl apparently doesn't yet support high resolution
displays, but that's ok.
It would make sense for someone with the black background & 10.14 to test it.
Some minor feature requests and bug reports:
- My personal feature request would be the ability to specify the
precise path to `wish` (and honour that one if/when present).
- Collections cannot be resized.
- Main window can be resized, but when resized towards smaller
dimensions there's no scrollbar on the bottom or on the right, the
layout gets messed up in vertical direction and inaccessible in the
- The schemes window is initially too small to fit all the translated
strings. If shrinked, items become inaccessible.
- Making "installation root" too small is also somewhat problematic.
- When I click the red cross on "Installation root" to close it
(instead of clicking cancel), I get "Error: can't read "wnd": no such
variable" and I cannot close the window.
- Clicking the red cross to close the main installation window is also
not handled in a proper way (I cannot even exit the program then,
other than forcing the close).
- Instead of "Select all" and "Remove selections" buttons in
Collections it would be more natural (similar to how other software
works) to have a checkbox in the header to achieve the same, but
that's a super small priority. One could then also only disable
languages, or only other collections.
- "Portable setup" could have a checkbox rather than a button with long text.
(I assume that so far we only have an installer, no updater yet.)
Again, thank you very much,
More information about the tex-live